If you get an Offer Of Employment, you will need to update your Express Entry profile in your account the following:

  • start date
  • employer name and address
  • Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) number (if you have one)
  • National Occupational Classification (NOC) code related to the job

Your job offer must:

  • be in writing
  • not be from an embassy, high commission or consulate in Canada
  • set out details of the job they’re offering you, such as:
    • your pay and deductions
    • your job duties
    • conditions of employment, like your hours of work

A work permit on its own is not a job offer, even if it is an open work permit.

Your job offer must also meet other criteria to be valid under the Express Entry program you qualify for below.

Federal Skilled Workers and Canadian Experience Class

To know a valid job offer, it has to be:

  • made by one employer
  • continuous
  • paid
  • full-time (at least 30 hours a week)
  • for at least one year after we issue your permanent resident visa
    • not seasonal
    • not on a contract basis
  • in a job that is NOC:
    • Skill Type 0 or
    • Skill Levels A or B

It also must be made :

  • by an employer with a new positive LMIA that approves the offer and names you and your position OR
  • if you’re currently working in Canada in a NOC 0, A or B job on a work permit that was issued based on an LMIA, and:
    • you’re working for an employer listed on your work permit
    • you’re authorized to work in Canada on the day you apply for a permanent resident visa, and when the visa is issued
    • your current employer made you an offer to give you a full-time job for at least one year if you’re accepted as a permanent resident OR
  • if you have a valid work permit for a NOC 0, A or B job that does not need an LMIA, and you:
    • are currently working for an employer specified on the work permit
    • have one year of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work) for that employer
    • have a valid job offer from the same employer for at least one year after your permanent resident’s visa was issued.

Federal Skilled Trades workers

A valid job offer has to be:

  • made by up to two employers
  • for continuous, paid, full-time work (at least 30 hours a week)
  • for at least one year
  • in a skilled trade occupation (jobs with 2016 NOC codes that start with 72, 73, 82, 92 as well as 632 and 633)